Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Very Important Building thats open 2 times a year






 I drove by this one time old dumpy white pealing paint building not much bigger than a large shed   along E. US 22  next to the Pittsburgh Speedway ( Keystone Drag-way)  not knowing it's purpose thought it was just another abandoned farm shed with classic old out house out back for many years possibly part of an old extinct farm  on my way to Blairsville, Johnstown, Altoona or State College
When they went to widen US 22  that summer in 2004  it disappeared or so I thought till I saw the state had moved it up the road about a mile from where it was , and then I saw people working on and fixing it up strange I thought of this old white dumpy looking building  why where they saving it. I thought it was abandoned. Well the answer would come out in the Tribune review in late 2004 This was no dumpy building it was one of a very small handful of stand alone polling places you went to to vote.
They have been working on it and most recent article on it being ready to reopen is below .


In the days of horse and buggy these stand alone polling places where very popular in rural America but all but a handful   exists now.
Not wanting to use a barn  as a local school or other suitable building was not always available or close by  these small buildings where set up and used 2 times a year for election purposes where for many years ballots where on paper with pencil and deposited into a locked box to be counted at the end of the day.  I am glad to see this building which I thought was abandoned has been saved and is being recognized for it role in American history. Soon to be open to the public again

No comments:

Post a Comment