They installed 2 both worked then stopped and 2nd one sparked and blew up.
First thing is I check is it the correct dimmer for the correct light.. Yes it is it is rated for both LED and Fluorescent fixtures. OK has he wired it correctly common wire to common wire travelers to travelers. yes he has.
So whats going on ?
Well after looking at age of the home early 1900's and the old knob and tube wiring
I suspect a carter wiring 3 way set up.
Unlike a conventional 3 way set up in picture below where all switching is done with just the hot conductor .
What makes this circuit deadly is the fact you can hook in a new switch improperly on a carter circuit and cause an dead short which is what happened at the group home.
How can you tell if you have a carter circuit in a home it takes a professional electrician familiar with old homes to be able to determine this by means of using a meter or induction probe and flipping of the switch and measuring to determine .
Are carter circuits safe to use in a home. Yes they are as long as they are not disturbed and if switches are replaced they are done so properly and due care must be taken to make sure wires are on proper terminal or you will have a short circuit .
Due care must be taken when changing light bulbs
on a carter circuit as the shell of the light fixture socket can be hot with power even thou switch is off.
If a bulb breaks off in socket and its an older home only safe way to replace it is to completely turn off power to the circuit. or entire house if needed.
and then removing the broken bulb or you risk getting shocked.