Sunday, June 10, 2018

Help to Organise a Missing Man Search and lessons learned

Never fails to amaze me how many times I have done things over the years and never got one iota of thanks for having helped a customer, a volunteer fire company, a church or other  non profit organization after helping them out  volunteering of tradesman skills and or time .In some cases what would be thousands of dollars in skilled trades time but thats human nature people are only your friend when they need something thats why I have only a very small circle of close friends and acquaintances. 

Take the time in late 90s when I joined Penn Hills 224 officially Known as Volunteer Station 4# in Point Breeze .

A young man from Cheswick had been missing for a few days after a very cold night and his car was found atop PA-910 in the Indionola section of Allegheny County.

The then chief of 224  a paid  medic in the area was contacted by the missing mans family and asked if he could help.

He agreed rounding up area fire depts.in the Allegheny valley and asked me to get in touch with Search and Rescue team I was involved with  Search Rescue & recovery of W. Pa. to help set up and lead the search.

I made all the phone calls helped get search team in touch and then set up to do the search that cold morning at the then old abandoned Ames Plaza in harmarville and before they set out I got an emergency call a few minutes away at a dear friends in Ohara Twp whose heat was out and oil furnace was sparking. Since most searches take several hours and some times days told the chief the situation I was in he said go ahead I would be right back  after fixing furnace. Well I no sooner got over and fixed the furnace which was luckily a fast fix called chief told him I was on my way back to the search , and he informed me  the team had no sooner set up a command post and the young man which is very rare most searches never end that fast.  was found dead of a self inflicted gun shot. . Sadly a conclusion no one wanted to have happen.

Every member there that day who took part got a certificate  of appreciation and of course the obligatory news paper picture later in the week. I did not get as much as a thank you despite all the work I did helping to set up the search. like I said I am never disappointed in human behavior. The couple times I ever was mentioned as helping they could not even bother to spell my last name correctly.

The Assistant  Chief at the time felt I was slighted over this matter  and wanted to do something but I never made a fuss over it. The young mans family found closure thats all that matters its not about a piece of paper and recognition its about doing the right thing for your fellow man. I have saved numerous lives over the year coming across serious traffic and pedestrian accidents and on construction sites  and never sought fame or recognition over it. its something you do treat your fellow man the way you want to be treated because some day you may well be the one needing help.



No comments:

Post a Comment